Monday, May 04, 2020

On Picard: Not the Last Word

Not that anyone is waiting for my follow-up, but I did leave my response to the first season of Star Trek: Picard at its midpoint.  The reason I haven't posted is that I haven't seen the following episodes, and by now it's clear to me that it will probably be awhile before I do.

That's because of where I saw it going in that fifth episode combined with everything I've read about the rest of the story.  Though it's clearly unfair to judge a series by the opinions of others, everything I know about the story makes me very receptive to the sentiments expressed, for example, in Stephen Kelly's piece in the Guardian titled "Star Trek Picard is the dark reboot that boldly goes where nobody wanted it to."  

Kelly puts his finger on an overriding issue, which I wonder if post-Roddenberry era Star Trek creators really understand: "Yet the idea that the grittiness of shows such as Picard makes it mature and relevant, while the ethos of yesteryear Star Trek is now naive or too old-fashioned to survive, feels misjudged. The hope, optimism and sincerity of the original 60s series was in itself a radical act: a way of portraying the future as it should be (a multiracial cast in a time of civil rights struggle; peace and cooperation in a time of nuclear terror), rather than merely wallowing in things as they were."

The objection isn't to the depiction of darkness, or of troubled characters.  It is partly on the dominance of darkness, partly on how it is depicted, and partly on what seems to be missing, some of which is fundamental to Star Trek.  But I might test my doubts by seeing these episodes if I was drawn to the story.  While I recognize Michael Chabon's particular interest in the golem (a theme in his novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay) and its fictional descendants,  I don't share that enthusiasm.  New Trek's obsession with "synthetics"--perhaps the least credible creations in the Star Trek universe, apart perhaps from Romulans with Roman names--leaves me completely cold, and frustrated.  There are so many more important and relevant--even crucial-- themes to explore.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  All I wanted to say here is that what I've read about the story has left me profoundly disconsolate.  Maybe someday I'll end up appreciating this series.  But right now I'm not yet ready to risk disappointment even in parts of this series I was looking forward to, notably the episode with the Rikers.  In the grips of coronavirus lockdown, things are just too weird now to invite more disillusion.

However, I do intend to resume posting here with essays on Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis, and explorations of the soul of the Next Generation, the series.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am always happy when Inoreader indicates that you've posted something to Soul of Star Trek. You and I see things very much the same when it comes to Star Trek (as I was telling someone at work, Star Trek is more than a franchise, it is a collection of very good ideas and inspirations).
I watched Picard all the way through, hoping that it would capture the spirit of what Star Trek was. Unfortunately, like Discovery, it pays lip-service to Star Trek, but in its essence, it is not Star Trek. In some ways, it is a grotesque parody of Star Trek.
Yes, I understand that Star Trek has always reflected the times (that's what I loved about it), but it never wallowed in it. That is what modern Trek does. Instead of saying "look at all the bad things that are happening, but remember, we are better than this", it adopts an attitude of "let's wallow in the muck like everyone else."
I don't buy the argument that this is all viewers want now (dark and gritty). How are we to ever imagine a better future if we never see an example of one?

Sebastian Palozzi said...

In fact, I was waiting for your follow up. I look forward to your all of your posts on Star Trek and I'll wait eagerly for anything you have to say about ST: Picard.
I'm a fan of new Trek and I'm a fan of old Trek and I'm a fan of the Trek franchise in all of its forms--TV, film, books, comic books, coffee mugs, poster art etc. I'm fascinated by the way Trek's original themes, how those themes and ideas changed and how they continue to change. Heck, I even enjoy fan reactions to Trek.
Please find the time to watch and review the show. Thank you for all your insight into Trek.
Kind Regards,
Sebastian

Captain Future said...

Thanks to Unknown and Sebastian for your comments and support. Comments will not appear immediately, as I curate them first, and generally check once a day. It's not ideal but unfortunately curating has proved necessary. All comments actually about the post will eventually appear. Thanks again...